Friday, September 30, 2016

West Virginia, Weird and Wonderful


I spent this week in lovely South Charleston, WV.  West Virginia has traditionally been pretty good for seeing weird things.  Previously I recall a goat wearing a sweater in someones back yard, various modes of transportation that might have been legal and several creative housing options.

There were two interesting incidents this half that made me give this post the title "West Virginia,
Waiting on trains so we can get to work
Weird and Wonderful.

We have been testing new equipment all half and occasionally that requires cracking open a track circuit or two.  If that track circuit happens to be in the approach of a crossing, bells will go off and gates will come down.

At one particular location we happened to crack open the track circuit just as a shirtless man rode his bicycle through the crossing.  I suppose he thought his alien implant set off the crossing because he immediately dismounted his bike and began directing traffic.  He waved one side of traffic through with one hand, while holding his other hand up in the classic stop gesture. He looked like any good law enforcement officer, well except for the shirtless part.

After about 10 minutes there was a lull in the traffic and he looked up and noticed our shiny florescent yellow vests and CSX hard hats.  A light bulb went off (perhaps next to his alien implant) and he realized he was not the cause of the gates going down, so he hoped on his bike and rode off into the sunset.


That was the second day of the half, and by the last day of the half nothing else really interesting had happened.  I was starting to get worried I would have nothing else of note to write about, but God provides all things.

We were working right outside of South Charleston yard in a rather industrial section of town.  So you can imagine my surprise when I glanced at the road that goes through the industrial complex and noticed a well fed elderly gentleman riding his bike down the street.  Now the fact he was a little round and a little elderly wasn't particularly shocking, but the lime green speedos  here was wearing did make him stand out.  Judging by his excellent tan, I would say this isn't the first time he thought riding his bike through town wearing nothing but a glorified pair of underwear was a good idea.  So sorry I didn't get a picture.

WAS Signals South Charleston

Next half I will actually be working in the same town I live in, go figure.  This means I get to sleep in my own bed for a few extra nights.  It also means my husband and I have to get ready together in the morning, something we haven't had to do, well, I can't really remember the last time we had to do that at home.  Hopefully we won't kill each other by the end of the half.

For this half's Amazon discount, I decided to go with cameras.  Mostly because Amazon was running a 20% discount and they didn't have a whole lot of other deals this week.  So if you need a camera click the pretty camera picture and get 20% off your purchase.  For the legal eagles, I will get a small commission on anything you purchase at no cost to you.

Hope you had a great two weeks, I will let you know if I am still married at the end of next half.


         

2 comments:

  1. I saw some signal type people milling around while through there on my motorcycle, figured one might be you, but could not slow down to be sure...darn traffic. I did see a track man checking switches and was able to wave. OH, and I got cameras but could always use another lens. But at 20% off they are still spendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete