Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Back to Work...kinda

     Well I haven't written a new blog post because miracle of miracles I had a few days off.  I did get the house cleaned, some homework done and read a few books.  I even got to spend time with my husband!  The farrier came to shoe the horses and when I showed up this is what I found on my horses side.  Bald horses are not a good thing, so I called the vet.
 
 
     The vet couldn't get out here until today so my week has been full of laps across Virginia.  On Monday, I left Covington, VA (west coast of VA) and went to Richmond, VA (east coast of VA). I did this so I could work on Tuesday.  Turns out my job for Tuesday was to take a broken grapple truck to Covington, soooo I drove to Covington, and then turned around and went back to Richmond.  When I got to Richmond, I hopped in my personal truck and drove back to Covington.  Then of course today, after the vet showed up I jumped back in my truck and drove back to Richmond.  I am a little tired of driving at this point. If it never occurred to you to check out the size of Virginia, its a pretty big state, and that drive takes 3 hrs, one way. 
 
     The vet is a little stumped as to why my horse is losing her hair and has swelling in her legs.  He put her on a fungicide, an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory and some dermawipes to try and wash the balding areas.  I can't wait to get my vet bill.  He took some skin scrapings to try and find a root cause, so now we are waiting for something to grow in the petri dish. 
 
     As for railroading this week, we will be mostly working clean up of the old stuff we took down last week.  This entails taking old signals and cases to scrap and busting concrete with a hammer hoe (we really do get some great toys out here) .  After the concrete is busted up, we will need the broken grapple truck to pick it all up, so somewhere in the future is another lap across Virginia, but I may let someone else take that trip. 
 
     One other intersting note, I have a new science project.  At our first saftey certification of the year I volunteered to be on the committee for the second half safety certification.  We had our first conference call on Tuesday, so while the boys ate at Jack Masons Tavern, I sat on a conference call.  One of the classes that we came up with was a grounds class, and thats where my science project comes in.  I need to build a box of dirt, with 2 wires in it, to show how a ground can jump from one wire to another wire.  I am sure I will post some pictures when I am done with this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment