Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why do you work for the railroad?

     This is probably the question I get asked the most.  I get asked by other railroaders, by acquaintances, delivery drivers, and even an occasional relative.  When people ask me this I try not to get offended, even though some do mean it that way. Most though are just curious, I guess I don't fit into any one category. I take it as why does a girl who's favorite color is pink, who loves to wear killer heels and loves a mani/pedi work in a profession that requires not only hard work, but a fair amount of dirt and grime?  I have given a few different answers depending upon the person asking the question.  The simple, most honest answer is; because it pays well, has good benefits, and actually, most days I quite enjoy it. 
     No one is ever satisfied with this answer, so I will assume (perhaps incorrectly) that my readers won't be either.  The follow up question is usually something like, "don't you want to work in an office somewhere?" or "why don't you find a good man to take care of you?"  The answers are, No I don't want to work in an office, I have tried it and my boss would tell you that I did a good job but in her words "Don't sit her next to the window, she might jump out".  I enjoy the outdoors, I grew up as the only girl in the family and I hunted, fished and built forts with my brothers and cousins. I lived in the barn for half of the summers, and probably still would if I hit the lottery.  My nightmare is a cubicle.
     To the second follow up question, I do have a man that does take pretty darn good care of me, even on the days when I want to waffle him with the frying pan.  He takes care of the things any girl needs, to be loved, appreciated and to feel wanted and needed.  I try to do the same type of thing for him. Perhaps I am missing the point of being taken care of, but to me it feels much better when I don't have to ask for money or justify any of my purchases.  When I go to the tack shop (horsey store for the non horsey folks) and I see a pair of boots, or zebra striped wraps that I want, I purchase them.  I do not have to ask anyone for money, justify my purchases to anyone etc.  Sure if there is a major purchase then it is discussed between us,  but otherwise, he spends his money, I spend mine.  Working for the railroad gives me this freedom.
     Butttt you will get dirty! Yes I will get dirty, but they have these neat things called showers, and if I am really savvy, and use soap, the results are amazing! I have spent the majority of my life in the woods, in a barn or playing in a creek and I am still here today to tell the tail.  I did throw away the jeans I was wearing when I was waste deep in ditch water, but the railroad pays me well enough to afford some new jeans.
     So dear readers, the simple answer is probably pretty close to why any of us do the job we do.  It pays well, the benefits are good and I enjoy it most of the time. There is no magic answer, no sad story, just a girl that likes to play outside, but likes to play dress up once in a while to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment